Visit - Click Here!!

Friday, August 14, 2009

1930 Lincoln L Series 4 Door Sedan 385ci V8 - Antique Car For Sale (Click Here)

Fully restored, sorted and beautiful Antique Car For Sale: 1930 Lincoln series 183 5-passenger sedan was unusual new. Think about it—who bought a luxury car which hit the showroom floor at the same time of the stock market crash of ’29? A rust free car which spent most of its life in storage and private collections, this multiple award-winning Lincoln is one of the nicest early luxury cars you’ll ever see.

Henry Martyn Leland learned precision tool-making in the employ of New England arms makers during the Civil War, and brought those lessons with him to Detroit, where he began manufacturing machine tools and marine engines in the 1890s. In 1902, he was asked to sort out the affairs of a struggling new carmaker, and the resulting enterprise was renamed the Cadillac Automobile Company. William Durant bought Cadillac in 1909 for his General Motors empire.

Bought new by Francis Hatch of Angola, NY, the car saw three years’ service in the Empire State before being driven to California in 1935. It saw seven more years of regular service before being stored in dry dock in 1942. The car saw the light of day again in 1965, when it was shipped to Wisconsin and became part of a significant collection of un-restored classics. Collector Gene Frayler (also of Wisconsin) bought the group in 1979, and sold this Lincoln in 1983 to its restorer, Clayton Maag of Leipsic, OH. His shop Leipsic Auto, has been restoring classics for more than 50 years, and they gave this clean, complete but tired luxury car the two-year restoration it deserved.

Leland remained president of Cadillac until 1917 when, in a rancorous split with Durant over the production of aero engines for use in World War I, he left to start his own firm. He named the venture after the U.S. president he admired in his youth: Lincoln. With the war over and the company's aircraft engine contract at an end, Leland and his son formed a new Lincoln Motor Company in January 1920 to manufacture cars.

Clayton sold the car in 1991 to its last owner, Robert DiCarlo of Painesville, OH. Robert took the car to the 1991 Lincoln and Continental Owners Club meet in 1991 for pre-judging. He scored a 94.1 overall, justifying Clayton’s hard work. Robert took the score as a mission—he would make the grand old car even better. Through the following years he entrusted the car to Dave’s Auto Restoration in Jefferson, OH, and the local masters at Capaldi Enterprises in Painesville, OH. More than $20,000 was spent bringing the car to its current mechanical and cosmetic level, and that work resulted in a final score of 96.83 at last fall’s LCOC Eastern meet, now more than 25 years since its main restoration. Suffice to say the car’s holding up well!

The first Lincolns arrived that September 1921 with a novel 60-degree V-8 engine and innovative fork-and-blade connecting rods that made truly parallel cylinder banks possible. Financial problems soon arose, however, and early in 1922, Henry Ford purchased the company. The Lelands stayed on, but disagreements with Ford led to their departures within months; Edsel Ford stepped in as the new president.

No car is easier to restore than a clean, rust free and complete one, and this is where Clayton and crew started with this Lincoln. Where many restorations get sidetracked while looking for impossible pieces this car sailed along smoothly. The body is 100% original, as is the chassis, the driveline and the bulk of the interior. Look down the body at the classic, straight lines of the car. There were dents and dings to be sure, but not having to fill rust holes made for a quick and clean refurbishment of the panels. The original Black and Ascot Maroon scheme was replicated beautifully. New Lester 7.00x20 whitewall tires surround the original wire wheels enhanced by the original chromed center caps. Large 9” headlamps flank the original, restored grille shell and its shutters. Door handles and other pieces of bright-work were expertly restored. Dual rear-mounted spares ride above the restored rear bumper. The doors close solidly and with precision. The hood, held tightly with its spring loaded clamps, fits as it should.

Edsel was good for Lincoln. Leland had created an outstanding chassis, but Ford had the taste needed to make the car look good. In 1925, Gorham silversmiths designed a chrome greyhound mascot for the radiator cap, molded using the "lost wax" process, a method that gives consistently fine detail. Rolls-Royce also used lost wax for its Spirit of Ecstasy. Edsel also enhanced Lincoln's image by ordering custom bodies from the leading coachbuilders in lots of 10 to more than 100. This provided distinctive coachwork at a more reasonable price than one-of-a-kind custom bodies.

Under the hood is the aircraft-derived 385ci V8 which developed 90hp. Acceleration is strong by 1930’s standards, and top speed is more than acceptable with the aftermarket Green overdrive unit underneath. The carburetor was removed, sent out for rebuilding and machining and was reinstalled atop the restored intake manifold. The ignition system was likewise restored and sports an NOS distributor cap. When the water pump failed, Capaldi reverse engineered and machined a new one—such is the level of detail keeping the car running. The motor fires immediately thanks to the low-pressure electric fuel pump and runs out smoothly due to its care and maintenance.

Out of 3,222 1930 Lincolns produced, only 657 series 183 were produced during one of the company's worst sales years. It weighs 5,180 pounds and rides on a 136” wheelbase—this was NOT a small car! Originally selling for $4,500, it wasn’t cheap, either—you could still get a basic Ford Model A roadster for $385!

Inside you’ll find mohair seats matching the original colors exactly. Samples were taken from areas not affected by UV fading and sent to Bill Hirsch Auto in Newark, NJ. From the front seat you’ll find two changes from stock—the flooring is now carpeting and the overdrive controls sit behind the shifter. Aside from that the original dash holds the freshly restored and fully operational gauges, the door panels hold their restored window cranks and door handles, the original copper-colored taffeta window shades are present in the back, as are the two 'occasional' seats (jump seats) which allows a total of seven passengers to ride along. Counterweighted rear windows, opera lighting and grab sashes are among the few touches which make passengers in the rear feel like royalty!

Exotic and stately this Lincoln is truly among the best-of-the-best. From its excellent finish to its stellar “bones”, and national show history, this is a classic that’s equally at home in a museum collection or on the open road.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment