Visit - Click Here!!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Short Chassis


Registration no: UK registered Chassis no: 117 RY Price: Refer Department In the 1930s, Rolls-Royce set new standards with its Phantom series. It was achieved not by making great technical breakthroughs, but by using the very best of proven technology. One could argue that various Hispano Suizas had more advanced specifications, but one has to note that many of them are now fitted with Rolls-Royce gearboxes. There were no weaknesses in the cars which Rolls-Royce made which is why, when the company began to use the slogan 'The Best Car In The World', it was regarded as measured opinion backed by solid collateral. The Phantom II, introduced in 1929, was said to have been the last model that Royce designed himself, working from his villa in the South of France. Between 1929 and 1935 around 1,770 of these chassis were built, being available in 14in and 15in wheelbase lengths, the former being used for the Continental models. Improvements were made throughout this time, and for 1930 the tyre size was reduced from 2in to 20in after chassis no. 169 GN, and back-axle bearings modified after chassis no. 120 GH. Power was increased by raising the compression ratio, weight reduced by 200lbs and road-holding and handling greatly improved by adopting semi-elliptic rear suspension. These chassis were very popular with the major coachbuilders of the day, and some truly glorious cars were made. This particular Phantom II is without doubt or question amongst the very limited population of what has long been considered the finest, most desirable sporting Rolls-Royce of all time: None other than a genuine and original short-chassis Contniental, originally fitted with the premier sporting coachwork of the time, the exclusive Owen Sedanca 3-Position Drophead Coupe by J. Gurney Nutting and Company. The car was originally delivered new via H.R Owen of London to a Madame Ossarie of the Dorchester Hotel, before passing to Mr Goodyear of Hampton in February of 1936. The car then passed into the ownership of Mr Stonor of Montagu Square, London, and Commander G M Bradley of Mayfair Court before being sold to a Mr R. L. Broad of Kent in April 1946. The car was later sold to a Mr Bass of Columbus, Ohio during the 1950s, in whose family ownership the car remained until this year, some 60 years later. The car was delivered new with its glorious Guerny Nutting bodywork in March of 1934. The car was fitted with 19” Dunlop tyres and chromium plated headlamps as per the original specification, which notes that the car's intended purpose was for "Mainly touring at comparatively high speeds”. Subsequently, the car is rated as having a maximum speed of 92 MPH. A copy of the original order sheet is included with the car, along with extensive service and maintenance records from the time the car was in Ohio. 117 RY is also featured in Raymond Gentile’s definitive book on the model, The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental, and has a half-page picture on page 221. Also included with the car is the original owner's manual. This is an incredibly rare opportunity to acquire one of these highly desirable and very sporty configurations of this classic Rolls-Royce. There is no doubt that 117 RY must rank amongst one of the most sought-after Phantom IIs in terms of its configuration and specification.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment